Here’s a story by Juliana Lamy, published at Pidgeonholes magazine.
Have a read, then…
- Write a chapter about a character yearning passionately/desperately for something – some kind of yearning that’s a “big, wild thing”
- Write a chapter in which a narrative event is prefigured in a night-time dream
- In this story the main character Sylpha has a baby. Write a chapter in which a character makes something else/brings something else into the world, or wants to do so.
- This story refers to twins (three sets of twins in fact!) Write a chapter featuring two of something – a pairing, or a doubling, or a mirroring. Think beyond human twins – for example, consider objects, animals, features of the natural or human-made landscape, events/actions, etc
- Draw some other kind of inspiration from the example story and use this as a springboard for your own writing.
As always, with such prompts: “Make it new.” (Ezra Pound)